On Sunday, November 13th the kids and I went to Old Town...Tyler's Cub Scout pack had signed up for the "5 Mile Hike Around Old Town". We got close to 2 inches of rain the day before so the day was clean and bright. My plan was to ride the Coaster down but we missed the train...pulled out just as I PAID for the tickets!!! So I started out grumpy...but a 30 minute drive and lots of prayer later we arrived...
The kids and I had done part of this hike last year so we started off with remembered stories and facts. Tyler was able to tell us what "hard tack" is and how it tastes because he just learned about how explores ate it, we quized each other on stuff we learned last year...like how the 1st San Diego Sheriff died (eaten by an alligator). I love the Wells Fargo museum...I think this year Elaine also liked it, she watched a few of the history video's. The one new place we visited was the "Mormon Battalion". It was a great Museum of the Mormon Battalion and how they walked 2000 miles and came to fight in the war with Mexico but instead helped build some of Old Town. The way they re-told the history was hands on...making it fun for the kids, and adults too.
| Tyler dressed as a soldier |
The Cabrillo National Monument and the Point Loma tide pools are two places I have never visited. Tyler and I learned a little about Cabrillo during history a few months ago and tide pools are just awesome!!!
One high light was seeing the Star of India sailing!!! Her birthday is today and so she celebrated by sailing out the Harbor and back in. A site one would only see once or twice a year.
I of course am more interested in the history of the places where the kids are just there to have a good time:)
What a great day learning about San Diego's finest history with the finest kids in history!!!
Looks like a really fun day:)
ReplyDelete